City of Dundas
The first settler of Dundas, James Irish, arrived in 1852. In 1857, John and George Archibald came from Canada looking for a good site for a new milling industry. Here on the Cannon River they found the water power, fertile soil, and nearby markets they needed. They bought the land and laid out their village, naming it after their hometown Dundas, Ontario (Canada). By 1879 the Archibald Firm was said to take the leading place among the mills of the country – even the world! Competing successfully with Minneapolis in the New York and Boston markets, they produced the famous D. flour.
The Archibald Flour Mill was a community center in the early days. Church services were held there, and it was even a refuge in case of an Indian attack. Fortunately, friendly relations were maintained between the settlers and Native Americans.
The Mill burned down on New Year’s Eve in 1892. Rebuilding efforts began immediately, only to to burn down again in 1914. The mill was rebuilt, this time with a massive castle top. Eventually the business started to decline and it was sold to a group from Minneapolis in 1930. They took down the castle top and left town, patents being sold to what is now General Mills.
The Dundas collection consists primarily of early village council records beginning in 1879, as well as records of ordinances and fines. Other historical items included are various paperwork dealing with the mill and school properties, as well as other documents such as deeds, court records, and contracts.
Dundas City Hall is located at 216 Railway St. N, Dundas. For more information called (507) 645-2852, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.